History

April 7, 1957 – St. Joseph the Worker Parish established by Archbishop John J. Swint. Fr. James P. Altmeyer appointed as pastor.

May 29, 1957 – Confraternity of Christian Mothers established

September 2, 1958 – St. Joseph the Worker Grade School opened.

June 7, 1959 – Formal opening of parish drive to build St. Joseph the Worker Church building.

December 6, 1959 – Groundbreaking and blessing of the site of the new parish church building.

May 1, 1962 – Formal dedication of St. Joseph the Worker Church Building built at a cost of $450,000.00.

January 31, 1963 – Nocturnal Adoration Society formed.

1969 – Stained glass windows installed in the church.

May 6, 1980 – Ground broken for new rectory at 229 California Avenue.

April 22, 1981 – Bishop Joseph Hodges dedicates the new rectory.

June 4, 1981 – Fr. Altmeyer retires as pastor due to illness.

July 1, 1981 – Fr. Charles Schneider appointed as second pastor of St. Joseph the Worker.

March 19, 1982 – Rev. James Altmeyer founding pastor of St. Joseph the Worker dies, in Wheeling at age 73.

July 2, 1982 – Renovation of St. Joseph Church began.

October 17, 1982 – Bishop Hodges dedicates the renovated church building.

June 23, 1993 – Fr. Paul Tedesco appointed third pastor of St. Joseph the Worker.

April 20, 1994 – Fr. Thomas Gornick appointed fourth pastor of St. Joseph the Worker.

June 18, 1996 – Fr. Gornick retires from active ministry. Fr. Stephen Dube appointed fifth pastor of St. Joseph the Worker.

December 17, 2004 – Formal dedication of St. Joseph’s gymnasium by Bishop W. Schmit.